Pages

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Love What You Do

I am never bored. I don't remember the last time I was bored, but I'm sure it was probably sometime in high school...and back then it probably wasn't really boredom whatsoever, but more so my mental chatter telling me that whatever I was doing at the moment (homework, chores, being home instead of out getting in trouble) was useless and I should be out discovering the world.

I'm a curious kid.  I remember hearing someone say in my youth, "You can't learn everything there is to know in this world - there's just too much!" and being determined to prove them wrong.  Of course that notion is ridiculous and we all "know what we know and don't know what we don't know".  Learning is endless.

Some of my biggest curiosities (this month) are about the kitchen. Cuisine. What we put in our bodies.  I'm hosting a vegan party in a few weeks and the reason is threefold: 1) my friend found out she is allergic to milk 2) my dad is a heart attack patient and teaching him how to eat healthy is important to me 3) I'm obsessed with learning new recipes.  Okay, and I'm a social butterfly who loves to have parties AND my garden is growing by the second - gotta do something with these veggies.

I like to use the vegetables that I know will come from the garden, and then search on awesome websites like Epicurious.com and KrisCarr.com to see what others have come up with.  (Let me know your favorite summer recipes in the comments below!)

The other night I made squash-and-zucchini patties (omit the butter and make it healthier!) and stuffed mushrooms.  This morning I made a home-grown kale, avocado, date, banana, blueberry, coconut water, turmeric, cinnamon smoothie for breakfast and tonight I finished the day off with homemade tabbouleh and hummus. So yum!
All packed and ready to go!

Why is this post called "Love What You Do?"


For the past few weeks and months I have been working the day job, editing my CD, doing photo shoots, creating a wedding video (all coming soon to a computer near you), teaching yoga, and when I come home I read about doing all these things better and try to get my meditation and yoga practice on.  Oh yea....and visit my man, an hour away, once in a while...(sorry hunnie - I'll see you soon!).

But tonight I was so tired of the routine.  I didn't want to get on the computer again.  I didn't want to research or play my songs or edit videos or work on my taxes.  I just felt like creating in the kitchen.  So I chopped, I minced, I blended, I tasted, I blended some more, I added pinches and teaspoons...and in the end....S-A-T-I-S-F-A-C-T-I-O-N.  If you haven't noticed, or haven't tried yet, food tastes so much better when you pick fresh organic ingredients from your own garden and prepare everything yourself. Truth.

My meditation practice has also taught me to love doing dishes.  Why?  It's one of the only times throughout the day that I actually get a moment to myself...to practice.  In fact, everything you do or have to do should be an opportunity for you to practice.  The ancient yogis say that red lights can be a blessing! Okay, sure sometimes you have to get that text in (but PLEASE PLEASE reconsider and wait til you get home!) but it can be a great time for becoming self-aware.

I am honestly baffled when I hear people say, "I'm bored." I guess I understand....I mean, once, many moons ago, I remember having that sentiment.  But now you can plant a garden...or just one plant!  You can learn how to cook one new meal.  You can learn how to cook your first meal! Read that book you've been meaning to read. Or just the first chapter.  Go visit someone who might need your smile today.
This month it's all about the curiosity of healthy eating and sharing that learned knowledge with those I love and who need it.   What's your curiosity?

Om namah

No comments:

Post a Comment